Akagera National Park is a protected region in east Rwanda. It’s considered the largest protected wetland in Central Africa. And the last remaining home for Rwanda’s grasslands-adapted species.
The Park management system of Africa has transformed this park into a rich habitat for Rwanda Wildlife.
Best Time to visit Akagera National Park
The Dry Season (from June to September) is the perfect time to game viewing in the park. The skies are clear and there are fewer mosquitoes as well.
December to February (in the middle of the wet season) is also a good time to visit. The landscapes are vibrant and there are plenty of birds around the park.
- Low Season – March, April, October, and November.
- High Season – June to September.
Wildlife of Akagera National Park
Akagera National Park has an extensive amount of Rwanda Wildlife. It’s home to the big five. And many antelope species like impalas, waterbucks, topi, bushbucks, oribis, etc.
Other animals that are also here include vervet monkeys, bush babies, olive baboons, blue monkeys, giraffes, zebras, and many more.
Things to do in Akagera National Park
The activities at Akagera National Park include:
- Big Five Safaris – Akagera has all of the big five animals. And, game drives are a great way to spot them in the wild.
- Guided Nature Walks provide the best way to explore the rich flora and fauna of the park.
- There are many opportunities for fishing on Lake Shakani. Tilapia and catfish can be found in the lake.
- Boat Rides in Lake Ihema – It’s the second-largest lake in Rwanda. And a boat ride here will give you a chance to see hippos, waterbirds, and crocodiles.
Highlights of Akagera National Park
- Excellent Rwanda safari destination for birdwatching.
- Incredible scenery with forests and lakes.
- Several safari options like night game drives, boat trips, and hot air balloon safaris.
- Outstanding wildlife viewing, including the big five.
A safari in Akagera National Park is truly going to be a memorable adventure.
Akagera National Park Location
valid passport or another acceptable travel document
Kinyarwanda, French, Swahili, English