Popularly known as the "Whiskey" route, the Machame route is now the most popular route on the mountain. Compared with Marangu, the days on Machame are longer and the walks are steeper. The Machame route is considered a difficult route, and is better suited for more adventurous folks and those with some hiking or backpacking experience.
The route begins from the south, then heads east, traversing underneath Kilimanjaro's southern ice field before summiting. The minimum number of days required for this route is six days, although seven days is recommended.
- Plant species
- Colobus monkeys & other primates
- All park entrance fees
- Accommodation fees in camping (or hut) and rescue fees,
- All meals and filtered drinking water while on the mountain,
- Guide (Wilderness First Responder certified)
- Cook and porter salaries and fees (porters are paid According to national park recommendations),
- Camping equipment including mountaineering sleeping and mess tents (North Face, Marmot and
- Mountain Hardware), foam mattresses, toilet tent, chairs and tables,
- Emergency oxygen bottles,
- Transfer to/from Kilimanjaro National Park,
- AMREF Emergency medical evacuation cover.
- First aid kit and pulse oximeter
- Portable altitude chamber included on Crater Camp summits
- Soda/alcohol, energy snacks and drinks such as Power Bars,
- Personal camping equipment such as sleeping bags
- Visa fees
- Hotel in Arusha
- Airport transfers,
- Travel/health insurance
- Items of a personal nature.